Friday, April 28, 2017

A recent eBay episode

I'm going to relate a recent episode with an eBay seller.
I decided to get a permanent drill for use around the house. I've always wanted to try a DeWalt drill . I've heard good things about the brand for years. Following my policy of spending more for better for long term use, I shopped all the deals on eBay for deals that interested me.
   I decided, from the first to get a battery powered drill with  battery and charger. I narrowed down the search to one seller and won the auction. I paid immediately, as I always try to do and began the wait. I noticed the seller was taking a long time to ship. I decided to be patient. Things happen and shipping can get delayed. I once had a shipment returned to the shipper due to damage in transit.
   I waited and waited. Finally, I decided to end the deal and shopped for another similar deal and won again. At that point, I had two deals out and the money sent to both.
   I was given a date by eBay as a deadline for the shipper to ship. That deadline arrived and the first seller had not shipped and had not responded to any of my messages. eBay granted me a full refund, shipping included  for the first deal. I left a negative feedback rating. I felt I had no choice.
   Meanwhile, the second seller had shipped and the item arrived. Immediately, I ended the deal with a request for a refund. The reason? The seller had advertised a package like the one I had bid on the first time, as new. I examined the item and  noticed immediately, the item was very used. The drill base had initials melted into the plastic and the charger had a name (that did not match the initials) painted on the bottom of the charger. Out of curiosity, I plugged in the battery and began charging the battery which had a weak charge. Immediately, the flashing light indicated a bad battery. Frustrated, I boxed everything up, printed the eBay supplied shipping label and shipped the package back to the second seller. By this time, I had received a message from the first seller apologizing profusely for the delay. He explained he had been in the hospital with the flu. I expressed my sympathies and declined his offer to send the item. Now, after sending the second item back, I contacted the first seller to ask him if the offer was still open. He agreed but told me he needed for me to close the complaint since eBay had locked his account. I don't know if that was the problem,  but I new the closing complaint would end my ability to protect myself should the seller fail again in shipping. I told him, I was sympathetic to his problem, but the money issue was his problem and not mine. He said he would go ahead and ship using his bank account. I tried to help him with the negative rating I left y logging an explanatory 'follow up' rating. I also sent him a link that would allow him to request a feedback revision and told him I would cooperate in any effort to remove the rating.
   I eventually got a refund from the second deal and received tghe drill package from the first seller.
   The price was good and the drill came with a set of DeWalt bits as well. The set was much closer to new than the previous item. In fact, after a brief cleaning with a wet rag, there was little to indicate the drill set was used. Not only that\, but the first seller's deal was cheaper by a few dollars and included the bit set. An excellent deal.
   A post note: the second seller was self named Maui Pawn Shop. He may or may not have been a pawn broker. Don't be impressed by titles. The requirements for becoming a pawn broker do not include ethics examinations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home