Thursday, May 30, 2019

What happened to Classic Coke?



   I was drinking a can of Coke last night and went to bed. I had left the partially full can on the side table. When I woke up this morning, I went hrough the living room, on the way to the kitchen, and grabbed the can on my way. I took a drink. To my surprise, the drink still had fizz (carbonated soda).
For those who are from the 50s and sixties, there were two drinks to avoid, an opened soda and an opened beer. Inevitably, carbonated beverages left open overnght would be flat (no carbonated soda) the next morning.
   At first, I was delighted. But then, I began recalling that the taste and feel of the buubles had changed over the years. The bubbles now aren't quite as crisp. Thay seem softer and sweeter now. Foamier.
   Disppointing.
   I may still drink Coke, but I'm going to test Pepsi for the same phenomenon. If Pepsi is the same, I'll try the 'retro' version, made with real sugar. Hopefully, Pepsi will have not made the same changes.
   I may, even, test RC. Perhaps they haven't changed their formula.


   The time is a quarter to three in the afternoon and the can of Coke is starting to go flat. About two o'clock, the Coke was more like I remember. Open a can and let it sit about fourteen hours. Put it in the refrigerator for an hour, and see if that tastes more like the original Coke.

NOTE: this all varies by the weather, the can, and other variables. I don't really know if this 'experiment' is repeatable. I tried once more and got no results, other than a flat soda with no fizz.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home